Search This Blog

Friday, December 10, 2010

Holidays and Treats

Christmas is coming faster than I'm ready for and I have a stack of treats to make before the holidays hit.  High fructose corn syrup and even regular corn syrup are the bane of my existence.  I can't digest corn syrup so even when I manage to find something that is gluten and milk free it still has that dreaded corn syrup.  Even in things you wouldn't expect like BBQ sauce and mayo. 

The is my basic list and it isn't easy to please.  The experiments include eggless meringue cookies, divinity, caramel, fudge, lollipops, cordial cherries with homemade maraschino cherries, mike-n-ikes clones, as well as hard candied jellies.  All of them have to be soy, milk, corn, and nut free.  Corn and milk have been my hardest to overcome but strides are being made and I'm getting the hang of inverting the sugar so that I don't end up with crystalized candy.  It's actually much easier than you would think.  I'll be posting some recipes for corn syrup free candy over the next few days, yes it is possible to make candy without corn syrup.  Don't let anyone convince you otherwise.  Happy Holidays and happy homemaking.

No comments:

Post a Comment